Wednesday, May 17, 2006

I have been conducting a small social experiment around school lately. Everytime I'm near the library door, and i see someone heading towards the door, I open it for them and see what they do. At this time, the person in question usually has 2 chocies, to either thank me (awww, how nice) or just walk through the door. You would think that most people would thank the person opening the door for them, yes?

WRONG! That is what my social experiment of about 20 people proved. These people were tested at different times of the day, and on different days as well, so as to ensure fairness and that there's no random mean streak going round in the school population. All efforts were taken to ensure that the result of each individual observation are indepentant of each other.

Here are my results: of the 20 people I opened the door for, I had 17 who just walk right through without giving me a 2nd look, as if it is their right for doors to be opened for them. That's like having a 85% failure rate! The other 3 were kind enough to thank me. :) I would be sure to thank those who open the doors for me, through the students in school don't really give me a chance to, as they open the door just wide enough for them to squeeze through and let it swing shut in the faces of those behind them.

If you say that the results of my experiment is unqiue only to the students of my college, you are wrong too. It seems to be something that is prevalent all over Singapore. I once tried standing at the doorway of a Mac and opening the door for those coming in or out. Didn't do it for long, as it sure is embrassing to have so many people looking at your strangely. But I got the results I wanted.

Of the 7 people who are unknowing victems of my experiment, only 2 said thanks, nodded at me and acknowledged my being. The other walked through the door as if it opened on its own.

Another thing I've noticed through my experiment: Those who thanked me while I was opening doors at MacDornals were old people, those above 60. The others, whos age ranged between 15 to 45, walked right through. This has led me to conqude that the older people in our society are more polite and probably had a better upbringing, as compared to the younger members of our society, who mostly led a pampered life and are used to having things done their way, for their benefit.

Just gives you a warm fuzzy feeling aboutSingaporeans, huh?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home