Friday, June 02, 2006

My body was getting thinner and had become bent into a stooped position. I was not able to stretch, and felt paralyzed. All my strength was gone. It was hard to move even one finger, and opening my eyes was not easy. Even conversation got on my nerves.

For obeying God’s Law I had been confined in prison. I had a sudden craving for apples, but I could not get even one and I wondered why. “Those who disobeyed the Lord not only had apples but were able to eat to their heart’s content. But here in prison, I could not even eat the rotten beans and decayed millet they gave us. The smelly and unnutritious soup was made of weeds and looked like dirty water used for washing feet.

However, my desire for apples became stronger. “O Jesus, I would like to eat an apple,” I prayed honestly. “You know my body system. You are the only One who can cure this painful desire. Please grant me one whole apple.”

I could not help but think of apples. If I had a fortune, I thought I would be glad to give it up for one whole apple. But if somebody were to bring me a barrelful of delicious apples and say, “Eat them and worship the Shinto gods,” I would have kicked over the barrel and said, “I don’t need them! I don’t need them for the rest of my life!”

“O Jesus, You must be planning something wonderful for my future,” I prayed. “Please give me one whole apple, even if You have to give up the Plan. Maybe it is impossible because of the time and place, but You satisfied 5000 people with 5 loaves of bread and 2 fish. Now I must really depend upon Your Promise. You said that You would grant every desire which is asked in Your name. Trusting your promise, I am praying.” After praying, the pain that had twisted my nerves began subsiding somehow, and an indescribable warmth filled my heart.

One day during the change of shifts I overheard jailers Jue and Kuriyama talking. “At this time of the year, apple rations are being distributed, but all the apples are rotten. Maybe the section chiefs have taken the good ones.”

When I heard this, I jumped up in my excitement. The word “apple” made my mouth want to water, but no saliva came. I called to Jue immediately. “Mrs Jue, Is it true that apples rations are being distributed?”

“How many do they give?”

“How many? Why?”

“Mrs. Jue, don’te you see our food? Its nothing but decayed, smelly things. Rotten apples are much, much better than what we are eating. Can you get those rotten apples?”

“Now I know what you mean.””Will you get them for me?”

“Even though they are rotten?”

“I don’t mind, I want to eat those rotten apples.”

“Alright, that is easy to do. I will bring them to you.”

Hearing this, I was so happy I almost danced and jumped for joy. When Kuriyama came for the change of shifts, I asked her to bring me some apples also.

Jailers Kuriyama and Jue went for the rations. Many of the other jailers did not want the rotten apples, so they each received a bagful. As the night advanced, Jue brought the soggy apples and put then through the meal hole. Oh, what an aroma! I was so overwhelmed by the fragance that I almost fainted. “O Lord, this aroma is sufficient.” I prayed. “How splendid it is! God still lives! God is the God of promise.”

I praised God and worshipped Him with all my heart. As soon as I got hold of an apple, I put it into my mouth. It was like an apple that had been boiled. It was so soft that it melted in my mouth right away. The fruit of Heaven must be like this. I thought. The hard, frozen apple, melted by the warmness of spring, had become juice. A tap on the apple would produce juiece. Every prisoner ate at least one. What a wonderful world it was! The prison became a paradise.

Jailer Kuriyama brought us a lot of apples in a sack too. We ate them all. My stomach, shriveled and dehydrated, was filled with the nutritious apple juice, like a soft spring shower poured onto a dry lawn during the night. The ache that had been piercing my body stopped, and my entire body functions recovered. Even my twisted nerves calmed down.

“What a wonderful world God has created!” I exclaimed. “Oh, what a wonderful prison this is! What a lofty road of the Lord! O Lord, You are faithful to Your promise. I will tell this to people in Heaven and in the world.”

My waist straightened. I could use my voice again. I explained to my fellow prisoners why God gave me soggy apples instead of firm, smooth ones. Because my teeth were weak, I wouldn’t have been able to bite into a firm apple. I had to add that God had given me 50 apples instead of just one because my dehydrated body needed many soggy apples rather than one freash apple which I could not have chewed. The apples were truly tasty, and their sweetness and delicacy were the best I had ever tasted.

The next day, one of the prisoners looked at me seriously and wiped away her tears. I asked her why she was crying. “I have always eaten good food, but never acknowledged it by thanking God as you have, even for rotten apples.” Then she wept even more, and I cried with her for joy.

-By person unknown.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! I've heard this before!^^

4:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home